- Science Teacher: Aristotle believed that everything was made of four elements. What were they?
- Me: Water, earth fire, air.
- Science Teacher: Good, now w-
- Me: Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.
- Science Teacher: what
- Me: Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them. But when the world needed him most, he vanished.
- Student: why are you doing this
- Me: A hundred years passed, and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, an airbender named Aang, and although his airbending skills are great, he has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone.
- Student: how do you even remember all this
- Me: BUT I BELIEVE
- Student: no
- Student: don't say it
- Student: don't you dare say it
- Me: THAT AANG CAN SAVE THE WORLD
Today on Social Anxiety Theatre: mentally rehearsing elaborate justifications for completely innocuous actions just in case some hypothetical interlocutor demands an explanation.
Oh my god OTHER PEOPLE DO THIS TOO???
I had no idea this was so common. Damn.